This is a sponsored post from Disney Music and One2One Network. All opinions are my own
1. Jamie Cullum – “Everybody Wants To Be A Cat” – from The Aristocats
2. Melody Gardot – “He’s A Tramp” – from Lady And The Tramp
3. Stacey Kent – “Bibbidi Bobbodo Boo” (French version) – from Cinderella
4. Gregory Porter – “When You Wish Upon A Star” – from Pinocchio
5. China Moses – “Why Don’t You Do Right” – from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
6. Raphaël Gualazzi – “I Wanna Be Like You” – from The Jungle Book
7. The Rob Mounsey Orchestra – “A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes” – from Cinderella
8. Hugh Coltman – “You’ve Got A Friend In Me” – from Toy Story
9. Anne Sila – “Let It Go” – from Frozen
10. Melody Gardot & Raphaël Gualazzi – “The Bare Necessities” – from The Jungle Book
11. Laika – “Once Upon A Dream” – from Sleeping Beauty
12. Nikki Yanofsky -“Someday My Prince Will Come” – from Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs
13. The Hot Sardines – I Wanna Be Like You (French & English version) – from The Jungle Book (US release only)
What better way to get ready for a trip to Disney then listening to some of my favorite Disney songs reworked to be more jazzy? I was thrilled to get to review the new compilation to listen to while I was packing for my trip! Disney music has been in my family for generations – my grandmother moved closer to Disney and I can remember her always singing me Disney songs growing up when we went to visit her. Once Upon a Dream was one of her favorites and I am happy that the song is included on this compilation. Once Upon a Dream and I Wanna Be Like You are probably my top 2 songs from this compilation, although all of them are great. Kicking the CD off with Everybody Wants To Be A Cat was perfect as when I think “jazz” and “Disney” it is the Aristocats that comes to mind. Honorable mention go to two more princess songs that I absolutely love – A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes and Someday My Prince Will Come!
“Disney is the first place many of us hear and really start to appreciate music as children. I’m really seeing that now with my own kids. What is wonderful about all the music is that it is challenging, melodically and lyrically exciting and playful. Having the chance to reinvent one of my favourites from the Aristocats – a proper jazz musical – was great fun. It’s such a brilliantly subversive film with killer music in it. I hope we’ve done it justice!”